7 Best WordPress GDPR Plugins to Make your Website GDPR Compliant
Table Of Contents
Best WordPress GDPR Plugins
As the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is about to take effect from May 25, 2018, WordPress website owners are quite concerned about how the law is likely to impact their websites. The goal of this EU (European Union) law is to allow EU citizens to control their personal data as well as change the approach of organizations around the globe towards data privacy.
If you are a WordPress site owner wondering whether GDPR applies to your website, the answer would be YES. The GDPR text applies to all businesses across the world and not just the businesses in the EU. If your business website gets visitors belonging to the EU countries, then the GDPR text applies to you.
Well, making your WordPress business site GDPR compliant won’t be a challenging job or an expensive affair, owing to the wide range of services and tools available that are aimed at helping your website meet the GDPR text guidelines. Besides, there are lots of WordPress plugins you can find online that can help you carry out some of the essential modifications required for making your WordPress site GDPR-proof.
Here we’ve discussed some of the best WordPress GDPR plugins that can help your WordPress website become GDPR compliant:
WP GDPR – The Best WordPress GDPR Plugins
The role of this plugin is to allow your users access their personal data. The plugin does this by generating a unique URL which would be sent to the user via email upon the user’s request. The user can then view their personal data contained by your website.
On that special page, the user may download all their sensitive data that your website contains currently – a chief requirement under GDPR text.
Moreover, a user can revise comments as well as issue requests to remove any individual piece of data.
Currently, WP GDPR can be integrated with several popular add-ons, like:
- Gravity Forms
- Contact Form DB7
- Enables users to request, update, access, and download their data, or request to delete their data
- Offers an overview of data requests by users to the site owners along with rights of the admin to delete data
- Determines the plugins that collect personal data and information and requires a checkbox for approval as per GDPR guidelines
- Currently comes in the languages English, Swedish, Spanish, and Dutch
Although different from the first plugin mentioned in this list, the role of WP GDPR Compliance is quite similar to that of WP GDPR, emphasizing user consent along with integration with important add-ons.
This plugin can be easily integrated with 4 vital add-ons, and it promises to offer support for other add-ons shortly, like HTML Forms and MailChimp. The add-ons with which the plugin can be integrated are:
- Contact Form 7
- Gravity Forms
- WordPress Comments
- Keeps user consent logs for the supported plugins
- Creates checkboxes to request explicit user consent
- Ensures user privacy through anonymization of data and encryption of audit logs
- Supports Swedish, English, German, Dutch, and Czech
As the name suggests, Ultimate GDPR Compliance Toolkit for WordPress plugin helps WordPress business site owners abide by all the GDPR text requirements.
The plugin features seamless integration with many add-ons, like:
- Events Manager
- Gravity Forms
- Contact Form 7
- Allows users to access all their personal data and information contained by your website currently through providing a dedicated form
- Creates consent boxes for cookies and blocks cookies until the reception of consent
- Sends email notifications to the users in case of any data breaches
- Supports Russian, Polish, Spanish, Norwegian, French, German, and English
The GDPR Compliance Suite plugin is packed with several features aimed at attaining GDPR compliance.
When it comes to integration with add-ons, this plugin is leaner compared to other plugins listed here, with WooCommerce being the only add-on that’s compatible. However, it’s necessary to install WooCommerce to reap all the benefits of this plugin. This is because only on WooCommerce installation, the plugin can get user consent when a user creates an account or places an order.
- Processes user requests to erase data automatically
- Enables users to submit data rectification requests and generates a dedicated table for processing of such requests by the site owners
Do you store the entries of Gravity Forms on your site?
If yes, you can protect the entries by encrypting them. The Gravity Forms Encrypted Fields plugin is used to encrypt the Gravity Forms entries.
- Encrypts user data within the database
- Helps you configure who are permitted to see specifically allotted entries, which may be needed especially on collection of high-risk and sensitive personal data (such as medical information or Social Security Numbers), which should not be accessible to all WordPress administrators and editors.
One of the rights issued by the GDPR is the “right to be forgotten”. This implies that WordPress website owners should erase a user’s personal data, if requested by the user, within a specific timespan. This can be done manually; however, the Delete Me plugin allows users to do this themselves. With this plugin, you can allow your users to erase their personal data stored in your site.
- Allows users to delete all of their links and posts, along with their reactions to different articles
- Highly useful if you own a subscriber website or have active user groups that respond to your articles regularly
Website owners need to get a thorough understanding of the GDPR text and make their sites GDPR compliant as soon as possible. These plugins can help you significantly in abiding by the guidelines of GDPR. Save both effort and time by downloading one of these WordPress plugins and applying it to your WordPress website.
Reshma Banerjee is a Web Content Writer, currently associated with 1 Web Street. She has over 7 years of experience in online content writing covering a wide range of topics, from digital marketing to travel. When she is not working, she loves reading and admiring nature’s beauty.